Have you ever wanted to build your own custom fishing rod?
Have you ever wanted to refinish an old favourite fishing rod?
… Just intrigued with the rod building process?
We have the class for you!
See below for our past Rod Building Classes.
Our Fishing Rod Building Class is taught by our seasoned rod builders with extensive knowledge of all the state of the art techniques.
With social media, there is a myriad learning materials available to help you learn the art of custom rod building, but this hands on instruction will undoubtably increase your learning curve dramatically.
All classes offered are a combination of instruction, demonstration and hands on workbench time spent actually using the techniques necessary for building a rod, making a repair or mastering a specific rod building technique.
Students will build a complete rod during the course of the class from start to finish.
At the end of our Fishing Rod Building Classes, you will leave with your own creation ready to fish!
Classes will be limited to a maximum of 5 persons.
Class fee will include:
- A 7′, two piece St. Croix Spinning Rod Blank & all the components necessary to complete it’s build;
- Three 4 hour sessions on 3 Consecutive Saturdays or Sundays;
- All the basic knowledge to complete subsequent independent builds.
Our Rod Building comprehensive class itinerary will include:
- Materials used for custom fishing rod building;
- Tools required for custom fishing rod building;
- Equipment used for custom fishing rod building;
- Blank selection;
- Threads & trim;
- Component assembly sequence & processes for custom fishing rod building;
- Cork / Burl Selection;
- The “tipping” process.
- Finding the “spline / spine”:
- Guide selection;
- Guide spacing for custom fishing rod building;
- Guide preparation for custom fishing rod building;
- Wrapping guides;
- Reel seat selection;
- Reel seat installation;
- Handle selection;
- Handle installation;
- Sanding cork & burl;
- The basics of decorative wraps;
- Applying labels & decals;
- Finish application for custom fishing rod building;
- Epoxy/ Rod Finish & the drying process;
- Correcting mistakes;
- Rod care and usage.
Once finished, we have EVERYTHING in stock you’ll need for your Custom Rod Building.
See the slider below for pictures from a past Fishing Rod Building Class and contact us for our next scheduled Fishing Rod Building Class.
*** Next Scheduled session dates here.
We are the leading provider of Fly Fishing Lessons, Corporate Team Building, and Guiding on the Upper Grand River, the Upper Credit River, and the Conestogo River.
No Guelph, Fergus, Kitchener or Cambridge Fishing Tackle Retailer will boast as complete and diverse a store inventory, including a vast selection of Centerpin / Float Fishing Reels, Rods, Clothing and Accessories.
Order a HLS or TFC Gift Card – We will put one in the mail for FREE!
Fly Shop Flyshop Flyfish Grand River Fly fish Grand River Guide Grand River Lesson Grand River Fergus Ontario Canada